POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling Eclipses with POVRay : Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: used it for March 14-15 penumbral eclipse render
From: pavium
Date: 14 Mar 2006 07:15:01
Message: <web.4416b350181997a3e8faad540@news.povray.org>
Bob,

It's been a while since I wrote eclipse.pov -- some of the details are still
coming back to me.

I had a closer look at your picture 'eclipse.jpg'.

It looks good to me - a penumbral eclipse of the moon might pass unnoticed,
depending on how far into the penumbra the Moon travels.

I can see a little bit of shadow on the lower edge of the Moon. Maybe this
is all we're supposed to see.

And of course for a lunar eclipse it should be opposite what I said before.
The Earth should be between the Sun and Moon, but if you raised the camera
out of the ecliptic you can see both with the Moon in the distance.

You could try commenting out sun2 and the tiny moon (if you haven't already
done so) as they only help in solar eclipses. Removing sun2 will make the
shadow on the Moon a bit darker.

Sorry about the bum steer ...